Assistant Kitchen Manager
Department: Back of House (BOH)
Supervisors: General Manager, Kitchen Manager
Job Description: As second in command in the kitchen, the Assistant Kitchen Manager (AKM) is responsible for the supervision of the hourly kitchen team members, serving as Kitchen Manager on Duty (KMOD) in the absence of the Kitchen Manager. AKM fills cooking positions as needed for the efficient running of the kitchen and plays a vital part in execution of line-checks to ensure kitchen’s readiness for daily business. Manages clean-up responsibilities to ensure the proper closing of the kitchen at night. Primary position during rushes is to serve as lead expediter. The Assistant Kitchen Manager is always guiding and mentoring hourly team members in the performance of their duties.
We offer Benefits (including Health, Dental, Vision, and 401K retirement), Annual Profit Sharing and competitive pay based on experience.
Job Purpose: To ensure back of house operates successfully, resulting in excellent guest experience.
• Extensive understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
• Extensive understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation, and food handling procedures.
• Previous supervisor experience and professional communication skills required.
• Available to work any shift and all holidays.
• Ability to take direction and work in a team environment.
• Ability to coach and develop talent and mentor Line Cooks.
• Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
• Must have problem solving abilities and be self-motivated, organized, and able to multi-task.
• Have a commitment to quality service, and food knowledge.
• Assistant Kitchen Manager needs to be current in terms of the Serve Safe certification; within 6 months or less of becoming an AKM, the candidate must attain manager level certification within the Serve Safe system.
• Thorough knowledge of and adherence to the law regarding: Licensing and Labor Laws, Health and Safety Regulations, Food Handling and Hygiene Laws, Fire Regulations and Procedures, First Aid Procedures.
• Maintain personnel files for all hourly kitchen team members.
• Ensure high levels of food quality, presentation and cost control.
• Expedite the line during peak periods and/or work in a dynamic capacity along with expediter to maintain low ticket times and ensure properly prepared menu items are produced by the kitchen at all times.
• Follow recipe and/or product specifications for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, slicing, storing and serving food in the establishment.
• Supervise and ensure recipe adherence and/or product specifications for preparing, seasoning, cooking, tasting, slicing, storing and serving food in the establishment by all team members during your shifts.
• Safely operate a variety of kitchen equipment (i.e. choppers, mixing machine, slicers, steamers, grills, etc).
• Control food waste, loss and usage per Eel River Brewing policies and procedures.
• Assist Kitchen Manager to maintain a standard of sanitation and cleanliness of kitchen utensils, equipment and Heart of House (HOH) areas.
• Assist Kitchen Manager in the hiring, development and coaching of HOH team members to reduce turnover.
• Responsible for placing all food orders in accordance with pars set by Kitchen Manager and Director of Food Experience.
• Assist Kitchen Manager in conducting weekly inventory of all food and paper items in the Heart of House.
• Act as Kitchen Manager whenever KM is not present in the building, and always maintain a leadership role guiding and correcting proper procedures.
• Able to act with initiative, and plan for the future and unforeseen circumstances.
• Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Ability to reach, bend, stoop, and frequently lift up to 35 lbs. and occasionally lift/move 50 lbs.
Please send resume with work references to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the Pub at 1777 Alamar Way, Fortuna. Absolutely no phone calls!