Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager
Summary of Position:
Directly responsible for all kitchen functions including food purchasing, preparation, and maintenance of quality standards; sanitation and cleanliness; training of employees in methods of cooking, preparation, plate presentation, portion and cost control and sanitation and cleanliness.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
• Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, overs, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment.
• Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
• Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
• Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
• Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portions sizes and recipe specifications.
• Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range, and refrigeration equipment.
• Prepares item for broiling, grilling frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and or marinating.
• Creates and follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
• Handles, stores, and rotates all products properly.
• Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
• Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
• Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
• Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
• Oversee training of new kitchen employees.
• Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
• Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs
• Work with Restaurant Managers to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
• Ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
• Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures.
• Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
• Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
• Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair, and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
• Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in a safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
• Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
• Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
• Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in varied kitchen positions including Executive/Head Chef.
• At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity
• Must be able to communicate clearly with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel and guests.
• Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
• Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours)
Please send resume with work references or drop off at the Pub at 1777 Alamar Way, Fortuna. Absolutely no phone calls!