Kitchen Manager/ Chef
Eel River Brewing Company is the producer of award winning beers, and is one of Humboldt’s premier craft breweries. We are seeking a unique individual with experience and knowledge to be a part of the ERB team as Kitchen Manager at our Pub in Fortuna, CA. The Kitchen Manager must have previous experience managing a high paced, quality kitchen and must have passion for the craft beer industry and the ability to inspire others. The position reports directly to the General Manager and is responsible for management and oversight of all kitchen operations. The Kitchen manager must be willing to work on the line during lunch and dinner peak hours including weekends.
Responsibilities and Duties
Specific duties include:
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Responsible for ordering food products according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are received in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures.
- Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures including checking and maintaining proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
- Work with restaurant manager to plan and price menu items. Establish portion sizes and prepare standard recipe cards for all new menu items.
- Ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs.
- Make employment and termination decisions including interviewing, hiring, evaluating and disciplining kitchen personnel as appropriate.
- Provide orientation of company and department rules, policies and procedures and oversee training of new kitchen employees.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports and schedules in an organized and timely manner.
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met.
- Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures.
- Oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Responsible for training kitchen personnel in cleanliness and sanitation practices.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas.
- Provide safety training in first aid, CPR, lifting and carrying objects and handling hazardous materials.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Two-year college degree preferably in culinary arts.
Required knowledge and experience:
- Must have 2+ years of kitchen management experience in a full service, moderate to high volume restaurant
- Solid track record of success in previous assignments demonstrating upward career tracking
- Ability to work ten hour-plus shifts with the ability to stand, sit or walk for extended periods of time
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry up to 50 lbs as needed
- Finger/hand dexterity to operate kitchen machinery, knives, etc
- Ability to withstand changes in temperature, occasional smoke, steam and heat and work in a confined area
- Must possess hearing, visual and sensory abilities to observe and detect emergency situations; also to distinguish product, taste, texture, temperature and presentation and preparation
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of all Microsoft Office Suite programs and cash register systems. Knowledge of Revel or Micros POS systems a plus.
- Great communication skills both verbally and written.
- Experience, knowledge and relationships with food and beverage vendors.
- Sound technical knowledge of cooking raw materials and components
- Experience in motivating staff to achieve goals; ability to develop and manage productive relationships with staff and peers locally and remotely
Eel River Brewing Company offers Benefits (including Health, Dental, Vision, and 401K retirement), attractive bonus system and generous competitive pay based on experience. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
Please send resume with work references to email@example.com or drop off at the Pub at 1777 Alamar Way, Fortuna. Absolutely no phone calls.